Overview of NSF/IERI Science IDEAS Project Objectives
The NSF/IERI Science IDEAS Project had two complementary sets of objectives.
The first set focused on the effect of the Science IDEAS model on student achievement
in reading comprehension and science as it was implemented in an increasing number
of schools. The second set focused on gaining an understanding of how to enhance
the “scale-up” process through which K-12 schools are able to initially adapt, expand
the application, and sustain research-based interventions that improve school effectiveness.
Major Objectives of the Science IDEAS Project Component
- To implement Science IDEAS on a school wide basis in an increasing number
of elementary schools.
- To develop the professional development and support components (e.g., for
teachers, and administrators) necessary for fidelity of implementation.
- To document the effects of the Science IDEAS model on student achievement
(vs. demographically comparable students) in reading comprehension and science
as measured the ITBS nationally-normed tests across grades 1 through 5.
- To document the transfer effects from elementary to middle school on ITBS
reading comprehension and science achievement for Science IDEAS elementary school
- To develop web-based tools and other intervention support components necessary
for initial adoption, expansion, and sustainability of the Science IDEAS model
to new school sites after the completion of the NSF/IERI project.
Major Objectives of the Scale-Up Project Component
- To study the process of scale-up by using the expansion of the Science IDEAS
model to an increasing number of schools.
- To identify critical dynamics that result in successful scale-up and the
barriers that are necessary to overcome if scale-up is successful.
- To construct a scale-up model that provides a framework for representing
dynamics necessary for successful scale-up.
- To design and construct generalizable school-based “tools” that help provide
support for school s for the capacity development and organizational infrastructures
necessary for successful scale-up.
- To develop web-based tools as a means for disseminating and using the scale-up
tools developed in the project.